Boko Haram militants have released dozens of schoolgirls out of a group of more than 200 whom they kidnapped from the northeastern town of Chibok in April 2014, officials say.
A Nigerian official said that while some girls had been released by Boko Haram they had not yet reached the Borno state capital of Maiduguri.
The same Nigerian soldiers who ran away like chicken under Jonathan are roaring like lions, chasing Boko Haram.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari said last month that the government was in talks to secure the release of the remaining captives.
Over 200 girls were kidnapped at Chibok Girls Secondary School on 14 April 2014, to the shock of many Nigerians and the worldwide community.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorized to speak to reporters.
The girls, according to government sources, were released Saturday after negotiation with the militants. It is feared some were forced to carry out suicide bombing missions for Boko Haram, which has ties to the Islamic State group.
Extremists from the group, meanwhile, are actively planning to kidnap western foreign workers in north-east Nigeria, according to the USA and United Kingdom governments.
Numerous girls were forced to marry the Islamic extremists and became pregnant.
The campaign for the return of the girls drew the support of then US First Lady Michelle Obama and many Hollywood stars.
"Our hopes and expectations are high as we look forward to this news being true and confirmed", said Sesugh Akume with the #BringBackOurGirls campaign.
May 18, 2016: Relative says one of the Chibok girls is found, pregnant, in a forest; pressure grows on Nigeria's government to rescue the others.
At the initial release of girls in October, the government said the release of another 83 would be coming soon.
August 14, 2016: Boko Haram video says some Chibok girls are killed in airstrikes and demands release of extremists in exchange for the other girls' freedom.
The government says the Swiss government and the International Committee of the Red Cross helped in negotiations with the extremist group.
The militants have killed more than 20,000 people and displaced more than 2 million during their insurgency aimed at creating an Islamic caliphate in northeast Nigeria.