Trump administration announces new travel restrictions

Adjust Comment Print

"The new restrictions on Chad and North Korea are a broad ban on nationals from those countries entering the States". Speaking on the ban issuance, Trump tweeted saying that making America safe was his number one priority.

Challenges to the president's effort to impose a travel ban have called it a thinly veiled attempt to block Muslims from entering the country, something Trump and his advisers talked about during and after last year's presidential campaign.

The White House said North Korea did not co-operate with the USA government "in any respect" and failed all requirements - and so all travel to the USA by its citizens has been banned. "We will not admit those into our country we can not safely vet".

Trump's new order directs travel restrictions to stay in place until the named countries work to meet certain baseline security requirements set by the Department of Homeland Security - metrics that could be unattainable for countries without the proper technological advancements. The changes are to take effect October 18. Sudan was removed from the original list, after recent praise from U.S. officials for Khartoum's efforts in fighting terrorism.


The second version of the rules were also halted before the Supreme Court issued a preliminary decision allowing them to go into effect with modifications.

The Sunday proclamation could be less vulnerable to legal attack, scholars and other experts said, because it is the result of a months-long analysis of foreign vetting procedures by US officials. The old travel ban barred individuals from the listed countries from entering the USA for 90 days, put a stop for 120 days to the refugee resettlement program while also barring Syrians from entering indefinitely. It covers more countries (eight), including two that are not majority Muslim, and while its provisions vary by country, the travel restrictions are in most cases stricter. The White House said the restrictions follow a review of information sharing by foreign governments. The Appeals Court for the Ninth Circuit upheld Watson on September 7 and said that the Trump administration can not ban grandparents and other family members of citizens and legal residents from coming to the United States from the six countries named in Trump's March 6 executive order. Officials said that Iran was uncooperative and would be subject to a broad travel ban, but Mr. Trump made an exception for student and exchange visas.

The ACLU, along with other organizations, were to participate in the legal challenge against the ban when the court reconvenes in October but instead the justices have asked all parties for briefs addressing "whether, or to what extent" the new prohibitions may render the case moot and to do so by Oct. 5.

"The fact that Trump has added North Korea - with few visitors to the US - and a few government officials from Venezuela doesn't obfuscate the real fact that the administration's order is still a Muslim ban", said Anthony D. Romero, the executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union, which has been challenging the ban in court.

Comments