Four foreign workers were killed and 10 others are missing after a landslide at a construction site in George Town, capital of the northwest Malaysian state of Penang, authorities said. At present, 11 bodies are still trapped and are being recovered by the Fire and Rescue Department.
A foreign worker, who witnessed the incident, said that the landslide occured without warning.
Malaysian rescuers have a briefing at a construction site after a landslide in Penang, Malaysia, Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017.
The Penang government should be fully responsibe for the landslide in Tanjung Bungah which buried 14 workers, three of whom have died, Tanjung Bungah assemblyman Teh Yee Cheu said.
Penang city Mayor Maimunah Mohamad Sharif said weather on the island was dry and the cause of the landslide wasn't clear.
MBPP issued a stop-work order on the construction site until the search and rescue is completed.
At least 20 people are believed to be buried alive in a landslide in Penang, Malaysia on Saturday (21 October).
As soon as the Bangladeshi victims are identified, the High Commission will make an arrangement to send the bodies home and then will try to realise compensation, Sayedul said.
The state Fire and Rescue Department's initial report stated that only two survivors have been found so far.
"May the search and rescue mission go smoothly, let us pray together", Najib tweeted.