Sri Lanka skipper pulls out of Pakistan tour citing security reasons

Adjust Comment Print

The Oct. 29 match will be the first played in Pakistan by Sri Lanka-or any other top worldwide team-since militants ambushed its team bus en route to the Lahore stadium in 2009, wounding at least seven players.

A preliminary 22-man squad is expected to be named on Wednesday, which will be cut down to 15 by October 20.

Gurusinha acknowledged that it was a tough decision to go through with the plan despite player concerns, but explained that Pakistan's support for Sri Lanka during the 1996 World Cup coupled with the security assurances meant there was little chance of the venue being changed. Sethi had said that the visit by Sri Lankan team to Lahore for the lone match was planned and agreed upon in a meeting in which officials of the two boards and ICC were present.

The Sri Lankan cricket team had come under attack from terrorists in March 2009 in Lahore.

Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) has confirmed that the team will travel to Lahore for the final T20 worldwide against Pakistan on October 29, despite top players earlier expressing their reservations on travelling to the country.


The Sri Lankan president said people of Sri Lanka sphere mutual feelings for Pakistan and he looks forward to deepen and broaden the interaction with Pakistan.

Pakistan vs Sri Lanka 3rd ODI will be played at Sheikh Zayed Stadium in Abu Dhabi.

The first two matches of the series will be played in Abu Dhabi on October 26 and 27. Following withdrawals by Australia and West Indies at the time due to security concerns, India and Pakistan had sent a combined team to play in Sri Lanka.

The PCB, which successfully hosted three T20Is against a World XI squad last month in Lahore, has been confident of hosting the game despite initial fears. Seems like we will be there in Lahore only for 24 hours.

That Sri Lanka will tour for the match was confirmed earlier in the day by PCB chief Najam Sethi.

Comments