Two Jawans martyred as terrorists open fire inside Srinagar's SMHS Hospital

Adjust Comment Print

He was arrested by the police in June 2014 from south Kashmir's Kulgam area and it had been termed as a major setback for the LeT and success for security forces then.

Naveed, son of Mohammad Hanief Jat, resident of Wahadi, Multan, in Pakistan's Punjab province, was a close aide of LeT commanders Abu Dujana and Abu Qasim - both killed in separate encounters by the Jammu and Kashmir police earlier.

The freaky incident took place while the terrorist was being taken to Shri Maharaja Hari Singh hospital for medical tests in Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir.

Shots rang out inside the hospital soon after and Jutt escaped.

J&K Director General of Police S.P. Vaid told The Hindu that recently six Pakistani prisoners were ordered to be moved from Srinagar Central Jail to Jammu but the accused, Mohammed Naveed Jhutt alias Abu Hunzala, got a stay order from a city court in December previous year. They believe Jat's escape was premeditated.

The five other prisoners are still in custody.

Her predecessor and Opposition National Conference (NC) leader Omar Abdullah tweeted, "Two J&K policemen killed by terrorists inside Srinagar's premier hospital". He was prosecuted in several courts of the state including two in Jammu. The martyred policemen have been identified as head constables Mushtaq Ahmed and Babar Ahmed.

A red alert warning has been sounded in Srinagar. Police suspected that the attackers escaped with Jatt on motorbikes and vanished in bylanes of Srinagar city. Police sources have asserted that their main focus was on capturing the prisoner, while the police also tried to ensure that no patients inside the hospital are disturbed.

Jammu and Kashmir Director General of Prisons S K Mishra said he had ordered an inquiry into the escape.

The slain policemen were given a send-off at district police lines where top security officials took part in wreath-laying ceremony.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti while offering her condolences wrote on Twitter, "Pained to hear that two more courageous policemen lost their lives in an attack in Srinagar today". The CM also termed it as an act of cowardice.