New Offensive Video From Syracuse Fraternity

Adjust Comment Print

The videos - which were made public by The Daily Orange, an independent student newspaper - shows one person encourage another to get down on his knees and recite an oath that includes highly offensive racial slurs against black, Hispanic and Jewish people.

Syracuse University permanently expelled the Theta Tau chapter over the weekend and charged 18 students with undisclosed offenses.

Maldonado states that the pupils were removed from course "out of an abundance of warning" and that substitute course and research arrangements have been created for them.

This is not uncommon for universities nationwide, which have been dealing with racism and uproar in the Greek community.

The second recording showed frat members pretending to sexually assault a disabled person. Maldonado said the university will not release the videos.

In an interview with The D.O. on Saturday, Syverud said he met with student leaders on Friday to discuss Theta Tau. Syracuse's dean of students said the school will meet with some of the 18 students today to decide on punishment.

He warned that more students could be "implicated in the coming days". He also noted there are other videos that have not been made public and that the school's response has been limited because "we do not reveal evidence in an ongoing potential criminal and judicial investigation so as not to prejudice that investigation and so as not to enable those being investigated to escape responsibility for all of their actions".

"This event was never meant to be centered around racism or hate", the chapter said in a statement.

Syverud has described the fraternity video as "extremely racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, sexist and hostile to people with disabilities".

Most notable was at the University of Oklahoma when SAE brothers chanted that they would rather see black men lynched than initiate them as brothers.

"We won't be able to provide any individually identifying information", Hradsky said. "In addition, my office will not be party to the distribution of this hateful and hurtful content".

Comments