Prince Philip, 96, Admitted to the Hospital for Scheduled Hip Surgery

Adjust Comment Print

A brief statement from Buckingham Palace said the 96-year-old prince was admitted to King Edward VII Hospital in London on Monday afternoon.

He was admitted on Tuesday to a London private hospital regularly used by the royals in preparation for a hip operation on Wednesday, the Palace said.

Queen Elizabeth IIs husband Prince Philip, was today admitted to a London hospital for a planned hip surgery, Buckingham Palace said.

Officials declined to provide additional details about the surgery and said "further updates will be issued when appropriate". "He's not called the Iron Duke for nothing", they added, according to the Daily Express.

The Duke of Edinburgh retired from public life last August, although he has appeared alongside the Queen at several events. He is said to have been experiencing trouble with his hip for about a month. "That's more important than someone's chronological age".


Last week The Queen's husband also missed the Maundy Thursday service at St George's Chapel.

Philip's last hospitalization was in June 2017 when Buckingham Palace was forced to announce he had been hospitalized because he was going to miss the State opening of Parliament he attended annually with Queen Elizabeth.

When it was announced a year ago that he would be retiring from official engagements, Buckingham Palace stressed that the decision was not health-related and he had the full support of the Queen.

Born in Greece in 1921, Philip was a child of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, a Greek-Danish royal family.

Comments