Maharashtra: Clashes in Aurangabad over water, almost 100 shops gutted

Adjust Comment Print

Aurangabad has been on the boil since two people lost their life and 50 more were injured in violent clashes that erupted across the city on Friday. Section 144 of the CrPC has been imposed and the internet services have been snapped in Aurangabad city.

In response to the violence, All India Majlis-e-Muslimeen chief Asaduddin Owaisi on Saturday appealed to Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis to initiate a probe into the violence between two groups. "So far, 35 persons have been arrested in connection with the riots".

People should not circulate rumours on social media, he added. As the clashes escalated, members of the two communities resorted to stone pelting and also set many shops on fire. While speaking to political leaders who visited the affected locality, Bansile's family questioned the role of the police as nobody prevented armed rioters from hurling petrol bombs.

"We will initiate stern action against persons found guilty irrespective of the community that belong to".

Appealing for peace, Aurangabad CP Milind Bharambe said: "I appeal to the citizens to maintain peace, do not take law in your own hands". At present, a large number of security forces are deployed in the city and stress situation remains. Several police teams have been formed to investigate the incidents that took place in multiple pockets of the city.

One of the deceased was a 17-year-old youth who allegedly died in police firing while the other was a 65-year-old man who was trapped in his house when an adjoining shop was set on fire by a mob, a police officer said.

On Friday, clashes ensued between 2 groups after illegal water connection to a "religious place" was reportedly disconnected.

Kesarkar and Aurangabad Collector Uday Chaudhari, besides Bharambe met this afternoon and discussed the situation, details of which were awaited.

Several youngsters took to streets and started pelting stones.

Local eyewitness accounts said over three dozen shops belonging to small businessmen were burnt, and many private vehicles and at last two police vans were also torched.