Toronto mayor addresses city's gun problem after restaurant shooting

Adjust Comment Print

Plainclothes police officers work the scene of shooting in Toronto.

Two people were shot dead and 13 were injured, including a child, when a shooter opened fire on a busy Toronto street late Sunday. Soon after shooting other people, the gunman shot himself and died on the spot.

Police say a gunman opened fire on 14 people.

The Special Investigation Unit (SIU) identified the shooter on Monday afternoon, citing "exceptional circumstances of this tragic incident and the public interest".

The gunman died shortly after exchanging gunfire with Toronto police officers on Bowden Street, not far from the strip of restaurants where the attacks took place. The condition of the other victims was not known yet, police spokesman Mark Pugash said.

The Toronto Sun reported that police were dispatched at about 10 p.m. near Christina's restaurant.

Witnesses described to local media hearing about 20 shots and the sound of a weapon being reloaded several times. "We just ran", said John Tulloch, who was on Danforth Avenue for a nighttime walk with his brother at the time, to The Gobe and Mail.

'We started to hear people scream out front, ' Steinhauer said.

"We do not know why this happened", Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders told reporters on Monday.

The incident occurred on Danforth and Logan Avenue at around 10:00 P.M. Police can not comment at this time on whether or not the shooting was gang-related.

Toronto Councillor Paula Fletcher told CP24, a Canadian cable and satellite TV channel, that she heard that the gunman was emotionally disturbed. Police sirens can be heard also and it is now believed that the shooter was firing at police. "It looks like someone who is very disturbed". However, preliminary reports suggested that "multiple people were shot at" and that "the victims were spread across many blocks".

"You've heard me ask the question of why anybody would need to buy 10 or 20 guns, which they can lawfully do under the present laws", Tory continued.

Police haven't disclosed his motive. It came three months after a van attack in which 10 people died and 16 were injured.