The death toll from an outbreak of a fresh strain of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo has risen to 34 even as officials say they will begin vaccinations this week to help prevent new infections.
Dr Mwebesa said the ministry of health in DRC has confirmed the outbreak of EVD in Magina Health Zone of Mabalako in North Kivu about 100 kilometres from Uganda's border.
This is the 10th time since 1976 that Ebola has threatened the Democratic Republic of Congo, The Times reported.
So far, Congolese authorities confirmed that there have been at least 20 deaths and that they are already working to find out if Ebola was, in fact, the cause of the deaths.
He confirms that the "cold chain" for vaccinations has arrived in Beni, the main city in the region, and vaccinations should be ready by the end of this week.
"In total, 43 cases of haemorrhagic fever have been reported in the (Beni) region, including 16 confirmed and 27 probable, and 46 suspected cases are under investigation", the ministry said Tuesday. Of the three healthcare workers who were affected, one has died.
World Health Organization has warned that this new outbreak poses a particular challenge as the region is a "war zone" with several active armed groups and tens of thousands of displaced people.
North Kivu also hosts over 1 million displaced people and fighting between government forces and armed militant groups makes containing the highly infectious virus a challenge.
The Regional Emergency Director for Africa meanwhile has stressed the need for heightened surveillance and preparedness actions in neighbouring Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi, and South Sudan, particularly along the border with North Kivu.
Despite that Ebola is never an easy illness to combat, the current outbreak is much more hard than previous ones primarily because of the location in which it appeared.